Now a days as we all know a lot of unindicated Hysterectomies (Removal of uterus) are being performed in North India. There are specific indications (Medical Reasons) for performing a Hysterectomy like –
- Heavy Menstrual bleeding (D.U.B) that does not respond to medicines.
- Fibroids in women, who are over 40yrs, have completed their family.
- Endometriosis &Adenomyosis
- Cancer of the Uterus or Cervix of the uterus ovaries or tubes.
In previous times Hysterectomy could only be performed after a large cut was given on the abdomen but now a day this method of removing the uterus is considered obsolete by most gynecologists. Even today 80% of Hysterectomies are performed by this outdated procedure in North India. In most 1st world countries , only about 30% of surgeries are performed by the open technique, as the patient takes a long time to recuperate after surgery , whereas Laparoscopic surgery offers several benefits to the patient like :
Only 1 day Hospitalization.
- Can return to work in 2-3 days.
- Minimal blood lost.
- No Blood Transfusion
- Minimal or No pain
Laparoscopic surgeries much superior to open surgery as the surgeon / Lap Gynecologist gets a 20 times magnified & well lit view (because of the Xenon light and other special equipment used in Laparoscopy) so the surgeon can perform a munch finer & better quality of surgery that what he/she can see at open surgery.
Certain Myths associated with laparoscopic Hysterectomy MYTH Busters
- Myth buster (a) Today even very large uterus that were previously not operated by Laparoscopy can also be now operated at good Laparoscopic centers so “Any size of the uterus can be operated on Laparoscopic ally”(our hospital has the world record for a 5.4 Kg uterus removed by laparoscopy).
- Myth buster (b) Previous Surgery: Women who have had previous open surgeries like Caesarean sections (any number of previous surgeries) can also be operated on laparoscopically now at good centers.
- Myth buster (c) Cancer Surgery: Today at standard Laparoscopic centers even Cancer surgery (like – Cervix, uterus, etc) can easily be performed by the Laparoscopic route.
In Our country the additional Myths associated with Lap Hysterectomy are:
- That it is more expensive. Again this completely wrong as Lap surgery is not only more cost effective but also lets the patient join back work earlier & helps the patient earning.
- Eyes / bones become weak after Hysterectomy / Hormonal disturbances occur after Hysterectomy – Now days as the ovaries are not usually removed at Hysterectomy (unless the patient suffers from Cancer) and since the female hormone come from the ovaries there are no Normal disturbances and neither do the eyes or bones become weak after Hysterectomy.
- Some part of the uterus may be left behind accidentally at Laparoscopy; this is completely untrue as the magnified view of the Laparoscope does not let even 1cm of any tissue or blood being left inside (Compared to open surgery where the surgeons’ naked eyes can always make mistakes.)
- Carry home massage/Conclusion: As women play a key role in a functioning of an Indian family they usually do not have the luxury of falling sick and need to recover fast & Lap surgery helps them in just that.