Dr. Neena Shilenadmin
Dr. Neena Shilen
Consultant Developmental Paediatrician
Sunrise Group of Hospitals, Kochi
0484 4160000 / 0484 2660000
Dr. NeenaShilen completed her MBBS and MD Paediatrics with top honors from Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Raipur, in 1994. Immediately she got appointed as Trainee in Neonatology Department, PVS Hospital, Kochi, after which she was appointed Consultant Paediatrician, and had worked at various hospitals. At ACME Medical College, Kannur, where she was an Assistant Professor in Paediatrics, she was also the Head of the Department of Paediatrics. She was involved in all areas of managing a 10-member Pediatrics department including clinical and administrative disciplines. She played a lead role in structuring and planning Paediatric department and Neonatology unit there. Her Postgraduate Medical Education includes Residency in Paediatricsat Children’s National Medical Center, Washington DC, one of best 10 Children’s hospital in the US and the most wired hospital in the States. Her Residency continued at Crozer Chester Medical Center, Delaware, which was affiliated to Children’s hospital of Philadelphia, which was ranked the Best Children’s hospital in the US for many years.
- MBBS, MD (Paediatrics), FAAP(USA)
Years of experience
- Residency in Paediatrics in India - Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Medical College, Raipur.
- Fellowship in Developmental Paediatrics - West Virginia, U.S.A.
- Residency in Paediatrics - Crozer Chester Medical Center, Delaware
- Residency in Paediatrics – Children’s National Medical Center, Washington DC
- Assistant Professor in Paediatrics - ACME Medical College, Kannur
- Consultant Paediatrician – PVS Hospital, Kochi
- Trainee, Neonatology Department - PVS Hospital, Kochi
- Presented papers at International, National and State level conferences. She also has scientific paper publications in the US, London and India.
- Currently doing research on autism recovery with early detection.
- West syndrome associations with autism.
- Effects of media exposure in children.
- Life member, Indian Academy of Practical Paediatrics. and Indian Academy of Paediatrics.
- Fellow of American Academy of Paediatrics.
- Started CDEIRC (Child Development, Evaluation, Intervention and Research Center) jointly with Adarsh Charitable Trust and Indian Academy of Paediatrics in Kochi
- Started 1st Autism Society of Kerala (ASK).
- Executive, IAPCDG Kerala branch in 2008-09 and Editor of one edition of IAPCDG Newsletter.
- Member of executive board, Pariyaram branch of Kerala Academy of Paediatrics.
Awards and achievements
- Achieved recovery in children having autism and integration to normal schools, in 85% children with early intervention by combined comprehensive protocol. This is a first record of such high success rate in India.
- Awarded ‘Top Ten Paediatricians of America’ for Maryland, US, in 2006-2007
- Presented lectures at various IAP meetings organized all over Kerala.
- Advocacy at Capitol Hill – 2006-Selected for participating in Advocacy Day of American Academy of Paediatrics where she had the opportunity to go to Capitol Hill to meet Senators or their legal assistants to advocate for kids for reauthorization of assault weapons’ ban and presenting assault weapons as a public health hazard for children.
- Research paper nomination for James Flett Endowment award at 33rd National Conference of Indian Academy of Paediatrics, 1996.
- Chief Resident in India at Pt. Jawaharlal Medical college, Raipur, (1992-1993)
- Appointed as the Nodal Officer for surveillance of Acute Flaccid Paralysis in ACME, Medical College, Pariyaram in India. Invited for giving lectures at District levels on Polio surveillance programme.
- Certified NRP Provider and BLS and PALS Provider.
- Awarded certificate of AIDS counselor in India.
- Awarded certificate for training in Management as a part of requirement in Government Health Services in India.
- Initiated and implemented Breast feeding Hospital Initiative in two Hospitals in India followed by assignment of the title ‘Baby Friendly Hospital’ to these hospitals.
- Invited for giving lectures at National Youth Leadership Program at Georgetown University, US, in 2004 and again on popular demand in 2005.
- Nominated for ‘Poet of the Year’ award by the National Poetry Society of US and honoured by award at International Convention at D.C in August 2005.Also awarded the Editor’s choice award for best poetry.
- Won credentials in debate, English language writing and other literary activities, group song activity which was selected for a radio programme.
- College Gold Medal for distinction in Community Medicine (1989),
- Certificate of Merit in Anatomy (1987),
- Certificate of Merit in Physiology (1987),
- Certificate of Merit in Forensic Medicine (1988),
- Certificate for eligibility of merit scholarship in 1stMBBS exam (1986, 1987) and 2ndMBBS exam (1988).
- Recipient of Bhilai Steel Plant Scholarship Awards during Medical School for all 5 years.
- Developmental issues
- Learning disorders
- Behavioural problems
News articles on Autism published in Indian Express newspaper twice and Women’s Era magazine. Various articles in Malayalam magazines (Vanitha, Sthree, Manorama Arogyam, MathrubhumiArogyam) on Autism, Hyperactivity, Learning disorders and Behavioural problems in children. Also appeared on TV programmes like Doctor Live, Doctor speaking, Jeevanrekha etc.