Department of Diabetology
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes ,Podiatry and Metabolic Surgery,Sunrise Institute of Medical Sciences, Kakkanad, Kochi..Centre for Insulin Pump Installation .
Diabetology is a specialized field of endocrinology that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment and management of Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes affects millions the world over, especially in Asia, and Asians worldwide. A Diabetologist treats and follows-up Diabetes through regulation of medication (dosage & timing) and diet. He also detects the potential complications of diabetes like retinopathy, nephropathy peripheral neuropathy and Diabetic foot ulcers very early there by preventing the morbidity and mortality of the patient.
At Sunrise Hospital, we have a full-fledged Diabetology Department catering to the varied needs of diabetics who need dedicated care and treatment. We have a sunrise Diabetic Care Programme which aims for the early detection of diabetic complications. We are doing diabetic- foot surgeries and peripheral angiogram and angioplasty and revascularization of the foot . Our latest, superbly equipped microbiology lab is functional 24 hours to conduct appropriate lab tests to monitor and meet individual needs. A panel of specialized doctors is also available round the clock to evaluate the patient and to give them specialised care.
Dr. Praveen Kumar P
- Podiatry Surgeon
- Plastic Surgeon
- Interventional Radiologist
- Diabetes Educator
- Medical Social Worker
- Comprehensive diabetic care at one roof
- Diabetic health package to detect all sort of Diabetic micro and macro vascular complications very early so that we can minimise the treatment expense and morbidity of the patient.
- Diabetic work up, podiatry, obesity clinic, endocrinology evaluation
- Treatment, follow up of the patient .
- Diabetic education by expert educator. Educating patient about insulin technique, Glucometer technique and complications of diabetes.
- Informing the patients regarding follow up visit and Health package etc
- Diabetic foot care and wound management.
- Conducting regular camps at the hospital and periphery.
- Peripheral angiogram and angioplasty for the vascular compromised lower limbs.
- Plastic surgery for the foot patients.
- Insulin pump Installation centre for Type 1 diabetes patient and Insulin dependent type of Diabetes.
- CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) --A device to continuously monitor the blood glucose of the patient .It can be fitted over the body for 7-14 days and will monitor the glucose levels day and night. It can be done as OP procedure. No need of admission. According to the values we can modify the dosage of medications and can prevent the occurrence of hypoglycemia.
What is the difference between type 1 & type 2 diabetes in children?
- T1D (Type 1 Diabetes) occurs when the pancreas are damaged and produces little or no insulin.
- T2D (Type 2 Diabetes) develops in children when their bodies becomes resistant to the effect of insulin and cannot use it properly.