Department of Gynaecology, Obstetrics and Infertility
A woman’s life is marked by unique changes that occur with time: from attaining menarche, conception, pregnancy, childbirth and menopause. These changes do bring about problems, directly or indirectly associated with the reproductive system and hence requires a separate branch of medicine that focuses on these areas. The three specialties viz., Gynaecology, Obstetrics and Infertility are concerned with a woman’s healthful life overall.
Gynaecology involves medical and surgical therapies, for the complete spectrum of disorders involving the female reproductive system, whereas Obstetrics is the surgical specialty that deals with the care of mother and child, before, during and after childbirth. Assisted Reproduction is the special branch of medicine that is concerned with infertility issues in both men and women and involves diagnosis of infertility, therapeutic techniques to improve fertility and embryology services such as in vitro fertilization (IVF).
Meet the Experts
Dr. Hafeez Rahman P. A.
Consultant Gynaecologist & Laparoscopic Surgeon(HOD)
Dr. Aby K. Koshy
Consultant Gynaecologist & Infertility Specialist
MBBS,MS,DNB,MRCOG(UK), Fellowship in Reproductive Medicine (London)
Dr. Shobana Sreekumar.
Consultant Gynaecologist & Obstetrician
Dr. Sindhu K.
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
Dr. Keerthi Rajan
Specialist Gynaecologist & Laparoscopic Surgeon
MBBS, MS(OBG), Fellow.in MIS, Dip.in MIS
TREATMENTS AND FACILITIES
Gynaecology and Laparoscopic Surgery
Sunrise Hospital is focused on “Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgeries’, and we are the apex centre for ‘Minimally Invasive Surgery’ in Asia. Catering to patients worldwide, our department is equipped with the most modern equipment and infrastructure to provide world-class treatment and surgical procedures for a wide spectrum of disorders and diseases. Equipped with the advanced MGM German laparoscopic system and operation theatres of international standard, we hold the cutting edge in minimally invasive surgery and other surgical procedures.
- Preventive Gynaecology : Pap smear, liquid based cytology, gynaecological checkups, breast scans and mammography
- Medical treatment of gynaecological problems like heavy bleeding, painful periods and genital infections.
- Adolescent health clinic : A dedicated team of Gynaecologist, Paediatrician and Psychologist to take care of special needs of adolescent patients.
- Menopausal Clinic : Special team of Gynaecologist, Orthopaedician and Endocrinologist to take care of geriatric problems. Estimation of Bone mineral density.
- Pain Clinic : Evaluation of chronic pelvic pain, vulval pain, pain during intercourse and cancer related pain.
- Urogynaecology : Urodynamic Studies, Surgeries for stress urinary incontinence and uterovaginal prolapsed, pelvic exercise training for urge incontinence.
- Hysteroscopic surgeries for – infertility, bleeding problems, missing contraceptive devices, removals of polyps, fibroids and septum & endometrial ablation.
- Laparoscopic surgeries for fibroids, endometriosis, prolapse, incontinence, reversal of sterilisation, cervical incompetence, gynaecological cancers and infertility
Our dedicated team of obstetricians and labour room nursing staff endeavour to provide the best of care in the well equipped labour suite. Antenatal care includes antenatal classes, consultation with the physiotherapist and the nutritionist. Facilities for painless labour with epidural analgesia are available around the clock.
High Risk Obstetrics : This involves the following-
- Evaluation for recurrent pregnancy loss
- Antenatal, intra and postnatal management of medical & surgical illnesses in pregnancy in consultation with medical and surgical specialists
- Antenatal counselling by team of Gynaecologist, Neonatologist, and Paediatric Surgeon for congenital defects
Fetal Medicine : deals with the evaluation and management of problems with the baby inside the womb (uterus). We have facilities for amniocentesis, chorionic villous sampling, fetal reduction, cordocentesis, fetoscopy, vesico- amniotic shunt, amnio patch and amnio infusion.
Sunrise Assisted Reproduction Centre
We provide comprehensive evaluation of the infertility couple and have a fully equipped lab with hormonal assays. The following procedures are done -
- IUI – Intra uterine insemination
- IVF – In vitro fertilisation
- ICSI – Intra cytoplasmic sperm injection
- Sperm and egg donation
- Cryopreservation of gametes and embryos
- TESA, PESA
- Fertility enhancing surgeries
OUR SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- Consistently high IVF success rates
- Largest size of fibroid in the world (5.4 Kg weight) removed laparoscopically
- 1st documented successful amniopatch for premature pre-labour rupture of membranes in India
- Largest series of laparoscopic surgeries by any one single laparoscopic surgeon (120,000)
- Largest series of total laparoscopic hysterectomies by any one single laparoscopic surgeon (30,000)
- New innovative laparoscopic sling surgery for conservative management of uterine prolapse without any recurrence till date
- Laparoscopic encerclage (antenatal and interval) procedure for cervical incompetence )
- Successful emergency cervical encerclage for prolapsed amniotic membranes
- Laparoscopic unification surgery for bicornuate uterus
- Laparoscopic management of acute postpartum uterine inversion
TRAINING IN MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY
Our centre is globally known for training doctors in minimally invasive surgery. Till date more than 2800 doctors from India and abroad have undergone training here. We have following training programs.
- Gynaec laparoscopy - 15 days training
- Advanced training for total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) – 4 days
- Training for basic diagnostic hysteroscopy- 1 day