Our Special achievements
FIRST AUTISM SOCIETY OF KERALA FORMED (IN 2007)
Key to this success:
- ABCD Program(Assuring Brighter Child Development) which is based on 'Early Detection and Early Intervention'.
- Special Protocol for Autism treatment, which is comprehensive and includes Medicines, Diet modification, Megavitamin therapy,
Chelation therapy for heavy metal detoxification, Nutritional therapy, Speech and communication, Sensory integration therapy,
Special education, Family counseling, Library facilities and Parent support group.
At Sunrise Hospital, We provide:
- A multidisciplinary team with a developmental pediatrician who works with many other specialists like neonatologist, psychologist, neurologist,
psychiatrist, developmental therapist, pediatric social worker, occupational therapist, physical therapist and speech therapists.
- Coordinated care - We work closely with the family, the child's primary care physician and, whenever appropriate, school and community health resources.
- Support at school level- Interact with child's teachers and staff for concessions and considerations.
In every case, our goal is to help the child in the process of physical, mental and social development from infancy to young adulthood and reach his or her full potential.
- Well baby clinics for developmental evaluation of babies from birth onwards.
- Autism cure special protocol.
- Management of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Management of Pervasive Developmental disorder
- Management of All behavioral problems like Anger, aggressive behavior, temper tantrums, oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder, stealing, lying, destruction of property, obsessive compulsive disorder, eating disorders, bed wetting etc.
- Stress and anxiety, school phobia, exam tension, fear etc.
- Depression and mood disorders in children
- Child abuse and neglect
- Learning Disability, poor academic performance
- Anticipatory guidance for parents about development in children and parenting skills.
- Teenage counseling on their pubertal changes and how to cope with them, on improving self esteem and career guidance
- Memory enhancement programs
- Sleep disorders
- Drug abuse
- Cerebral palsy and Developmental delay
- Down's syndrome
- Speech and language disorders
- Appointment based care
- Customer centered care with adequate amount of time spent with each patient and their families. communication, Sensory integration therapy, Special education, Family counseling, Library facilities and Parent support group.
- Developmental pediatrician trained in India and United States.
- Kid friendly care, with play areas for kids.
- Patient education and advocacy.
- Strong doctor patient relationships.
- Coordination with teachers for certain concessions in school.
Dr Neena Shilen completed her MBBS and MD Pediatrics with top honors from Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Raipur, in 1994. Immediately she got
appointed as Trainee in Neonatology Department, PVS Hospital, Kochi, Kerala, After completing the training, she was appointed Consultant Pediatrician,
and had worked at various hospitals and also as Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at ACME Medical College, Kannur, Kerala, She had to take up the
role of the Head of the Department of pediatrics during the development phase of medical college. She was Involved in all areas of managing a
10-member Pediatrics department including clinical and administrative disciplines. Took the lead role in structuring and planning Pediatric
department and Neonatology unit,
Postgraduate Medical Education includes Residency, Pediatrics, at Children's National Medical Center, Washington DC , which is one of best 10
Children's hospital in U.S.A., which was also awarded the 'Most wired hospital in U .S.A' Residency was continued at Crozer Chester Medical
Center, Delaware, which was affiliated to Children's hospital of Philadelphia, ranked Best Children's hospital in U.S.A since a number of years.
Fellowship Training in Developmental Pediatrics, Virginia, U.S.A.
Residency in Pediatrics in India was completed at Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Medical College, Raipur, India.
Medical School Honors/Award(s)
- College Gold Medal for distinction in Community Medicine (1989),
- Certificate of Merit in Anatomy (1987),
- Certificate of Merit in Physiology (1987),
- Certificate of Merit in Forensic Medicine (1988),
- Certificate for eligibility of merit scholarship in 1st MBBS exam (1986, 1987) and 2nd MBBS exam (1988).
- Recipient of Bhilai Steel Plant Scholarship Awards during Medical School for all 5 years.
Awards/ Accomplishments/ Positions
- Achieved Autism cure, which is first time in India.
- Awarded ' Top Ten Pediatricians of America ' for Maryland, U.S.A in 2006' 2007
- Started CDEIRC (Child Development, Evaluation, Intervention and Research Center) jointly with adarsh trust and Indian academy of pediatrics at Kochi
- Started 1st Autism society of Kerala (ASK).
- Presented lectures at various IAP meetings organized all over Kerala.
- Executive, IAPCDG Kerala branch in 2008-09 and Editor of one edition of IAPCDG Newsletter.
- Conducted many awareness programs and seminars in Autism for Parents, teachers and pediatricians.
- Life member, Indian Academy of Practical Pediatrics. and Indian Academy of Pediatrics.
- Fellow of American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Advocacy at Capitol Hill - 2006-Selected for participating in Advocacy Day of American Academy of Pediatrics where she had the opportunity to go to Capitol Hill to
meet Senators or their legal assistants to advocate for kids for reauthorization of assault weapons Ban and presenting assault weapons as a public health hazard for children.
- Research paper nomination for James Flett Endowment award at 33rd National Conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics, 1996.
- Chief resident in India at Pt. Jawaharlal Medical college, Raipur, (1992-1993)
- Appointed as the Nodal Officer for surveillance of Acute Flaccid Paralysis in ACME, Medical College, Pariyaram in India. Invited for giving lectures at District levels on Polio surveillance program.
- Member of executive board, Pariyarum branch of Kerala Academy of Pediatrics.
- Certified NRP Provider. And BLS and PALS Provider.
- Awarded certificate of AIDS counselor in India.
- Awarded certificate for training in Management as a part of requirement in Government Health Services in India.
- Initiated and implemented Breast feeding Hospital Initiative in two Hospitals in India followed by assignment of â€˜Baby Friendly Hospitalâ€™ Title to these hospitals.
- Invited for giving lectures at National Youth Leadership Program at Georgetown University, U.S.A in 2004 and again on popular demand in 2005.
- News article on Autism published in Indian Express newspaper twice and Women's Era magazine. Various articles in Malayalam magazines ( Vanitha, Sthree, Manorama
Arogyam, Mathrubhumi Arogyam) on Autism, Hyperactivity, Learning disorders and Behavioral problems in children. Also appeared on TV programs like Doctor Live, Doctor speaking, Jeevanrekha etc.
- Nominated for 'POET OF THE YEAR ' award by the National Poetry Society of U.S and honored by award at International Convention at D.C in August 2005.Also awarded
Editor's choice award for best poetry.
- Won credentials in debate, English Language writing and other literary activities, group song activity which was selected for radio program.
Dr, Neena has presented papers at International, National and State level conferences. She also has scientific paper publications in U.S, London and India.
- Currently doing research on autism cure with early detection.
- West syndrome associations with autism.
- Effects of media exposure in children.
Language Fluency - English, Malayalam, Hindi
Hobbies & Interests - Listening to music, story writing, poetry, reading, debating, cooking, and creative art.
" Every human being is born with a set of strengths and weaknesses: every person has potential. What happens to that potential depends largely on
experience. Childhood is the most vulnerable period of human development, and by far the most influential. If the experiences of children support healthy
development, they will be more likely to fulfill their potential as adults."
We care for you. Let's join hands to help every child become a shining star! ***