Department of Gastroenterology
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine whereby the digestive system and its disorders are studied. The name is a combination of three Ancient Greek words gaster (gen.: gastros) (stomach), enteron (intestine), and logos (reason). Diseases affecting the gastrointestinal tract, which includes the organs from mouth to anus, along the alimentary canal, are the focus of this specialty.
- Dr Rajeev Jayadevan MD (Vellore), DNB, MRCP (UK), Amercian Board Certification in Medicine, Amercian Board Certification (Fellowship) in Gastroenterology (New York)
- Ms. Deepa R Msc (Food Science & Nutrition)
Dr Rajeev Jayadevan, MD (Vellore),
Gastroenterology Fellowship (New York)
Dr Rajeev Jayadevan completed his MBBS and MD General Medicine with top honors from Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore* in 1995. He received training in Clinical Epidemiology and Public Health from Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Holland. He was awarded MRCP (UK) from England in 1996. He obtained Board Certification in Medicine and Gastroenterology (Fellowship) from New York Medical College, and spent 3 years in the UK and 10 years in the US before returning to his hometown of Kochi. He accepted the responsibility of establishing the Gastroenterology Department at Sunrise Hospital, Kochi.
Watch Youtube Videos
A few of his numerous academic achievements include
- 2nd rank Kerala State SSLC 1984 from St.Joseph’s Thrikkakara.
- 1st rank Kerala State MBBS Entrance Examination 1986
- 4th rank Kerala State Engineering Entrance Examination 1986
- 1st rank Final MBBS from Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore*
- Best outgoing MD student, CMC Vellore*
- 1st rank MD Medicine University of Madras with Gold Medal 1995
For several years in a row, CMC Vellore has been ranked the No: 2 Medical College in India by the prestigious India Today Magazine.
Dr Rajeev Jayadevan is a well-respected academician with a passion for teaching, writing and research. He has over 25 international scientific publications to his name and has made presentations in numerous Gastroenterology conferences in USA, Europe and India. He writes for newspapers and magazines, and regularly appears on TV and Radio health programs.
Known as a kind, compassionate and skilled physician with experience of over 14,000 endoscopies and colonoscopies done mostly in the UK and U.S.A, Dr Rajeev Jayadevan brings his unique expertise in performing painless endoscopy to India. His other areas of academic interest include lifestyle diseases, obesity, acidity, cancer and palliative care.
He is also actively involved in community service, and is an invited speaker for numerous public functions and scientific conferences. He has been involved in health education for the community, personally taking awareness classes in over 50 schools in Cochin area, and works closely with the motor vehicle department regarding driver-training and to reduce the rate of road accidents.
He is a professionally trained public speaker who conducts workshops for speaker-training and spoken English. His personal interests are physical fitness, drawing, music, travel and photography.
He is a vigorous advocate of patient comfort and satisfaction. He gave up a successful medical career in the US to return and serve the people of India with all the skills, knowledge and expertise he gained over his 17 years of medical training in many different countries including USA, England, Ireland, Holland and India.
- US and UK-trained gastroenterologist with extensive experience
- Painless endoscopy and colonoscopy performed according to US standards
- Screening for bowel polyps and cancer in healthy persons over the age of 50
- Screening for stomach and esophageal cancer in patients with acidity
- Treatment of gastrointestinal bleeding, removal of small tumors without the need for surgery
- Treatment of hemorrhoids (piles) without the need for surgery
- State-of-the-art imaging facilities including multisclice detector CT scan with abdominal angiogram and 3-D image reconstruction with virtual colonoscopy (CT colography)
- Feeding tube placement without surgery for patients who are unable to swallow
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreaticogram) for removal of bile duct stones
- Stent placement for esophageal and bile duct cancer
- Nutritional consultation for obesity
- Excellent surgical facilities including advanced laparoscopic gall-bladder and bowel surgery
Dr Joby Augustine
Dr Jiffy Rasak V A
What is endoscopy?
Endoscopy is a medical procedure used to view the digestive tract, and other internal organs, without an operation. Using an endoscope (a thin rubber tube with a lighted camera attached), the internal body structures can be seen enlarged on a video monitor by the physician.
Where is the endoscope inserted?
The endoscope can be inserted through the mouth (upper endoscopy or EGD), or through the rectum (colonoscopy)
Why is an endoscopy performed?
It is done to diagnose the cause of abdominal pain, acidity, gas, loss of appetite, change in bowel habits, piles and bleeding. Diseases such as ulcers, esophageal, stomach or bowel cancer, polyps and colitis are easily diagnosed using endoscopy
How can I get an endoscopy done at Sunrise hospital?
You may see Dr Rajeev Jayadevan, Dr Padmakumar or Dr Pai in consultation and then get scheduled for endoscopy. The procedure will be performed by Dr Rajeev Jayadevan by appointment.
Can I get both consultation and endoscopy done on the same day?
If you wish to have an endoscopy done, it is better to call earlier and schedule an appointment. Walk-in endoscopy can also be done, but only on days with lighter schedules.
When is the doctor available?
The doctor is available 9 am-1 noon and 4-6 pm weekdays, and 9-1 noon on Saturdays. You may call +91 484 2428913- 6028 to confirm.
Do I need to book an appointment to see the doctor?
We see both walk-in patients, as well as those who book by appointment. You may book an appointment by calling+91 484 2428913- 6028
Do I need to starve before an endoscopy?
You should not have eaten solid food for at least 8 hours prior to upper endoscopy. However, you may have water or black tea/coffee up to 2 hours prior to the procedure.
How should I prepare for a colonoscopy?
Detailed instructions will be given at the hospital at the time of scheduling, along with the medicines required to do the bowel preparation. You should be on clear liquids (water, Sprite, black tea/coffee, clear juice without pulp) for 24 hours prior to colonoscopy, starting from the previous morning. That afternoon, you may take the prescribed laxative at home. You should arrive at the hospital next morning, at least an hour before your appointment.
Are there any limitations after endoscopy?
Since it is done under IV sedation, you should not drive a motor vehicle for 24 hours after the procedure. There is no restriction on diet.
Is sedation mandatory?
No. In fact, the majority of endoscopies in India are done without sedation. However it is much more comfortable to undergo the procedure under light IV sedation, which incidentally is the accepted standard in America.
What is a screening colonoscopy?
It is done on healthy persons over age 50, looking for polyps (small growths on the bowel wall) which are the earliest form of colon cancer. One out of 3-4 people over age 50 have polyps, which are silent, without symptoms. Removal of polyps at colonoscopy will greatly reduce the risk of colorectal cancer, which is the no.2 cause of cancer deaths worldwide, and one of the few genuinely preventable cancers. Countries like America, Europe, Singapore and China are already doing it as part of their routine health check-up at age 50.
What is special about endoscopy at Sunrise Hospital?
- At Sunrise Hospital, we believe that all endoscopic procedures should be painless and free from discomfort, and this has been incorporated into our policy. We have an elaborate 12-point mission statement precisely outlining how we will treat our patients, and maintain protocols conforming to international standards.
- We take great care to ensure privacy and comfort of our patients at every step
- We perform endoscopy at Sunrise hospital under IV sedation
- Our gastroenterology staff nurses and technicians are specially trained to ease anxiety and relax our patients by providing a safe, clean, private and serene atmosphere in our endoscopy suite that is equipped with the latest technology.
- For those requiring a colonoscopy, we let our patients undergo their bowel preparation in the privacy of their own home.
- Most of our patients are able to arrive from their home just one hour prior before their endoscopy appointment, and are able to go home and have normal diet within an hour of completion of the procedure.
- If required, we can arrange for admission to the hospital for performing endoscopy
- Our staff nurses routinely call our patients at their home prior to and after the procedures, to ensure that they are comfortable, and to clarify doubts if any