Department of General Surgery
General Surgery is mainly focused on the abdominal organs, breast, thyroid gland and hernias. Operations of the esophagus, stomach, colon, liver, gallbladder, bile duct are done with key-hole technology (Laparoscopically). Procedures such as treatment of varicose veins, circumcision, vasectomies and skin cancer removal are also done by General Surgeons. The overall responsibility for trauma care also comes under the realm of general surgery.
Sunrise Hospital is focused on ‘Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgeries’, and we are the apex center for ‘Minimally Invasive Surgery’ in Asia and a center of excellence for ‘Hernia Surgeries and Laparoscopic Cancer Surgeries’. Our General Surgery department is equipped with some of the latest equipment like MGB Germany Laparoscopic System, and our Operation Theaters, conforming to International Standards, are equipped with Hepa Filter and Laminar Flow.
With the advent of ‘Minimally Invasive Surgery’, also called Band-aid Surgery, General Surgery has become extremely convenient. Benefits of this form of surgery are :
- Smaller incisions (Key Hole) (usually 0.5-1.5cm).
- Less post operative discomfort.
- Quicker recovery.
- Shorter Hospital stays.
- Quicker return to full activity.
- Smaller Scars.
- Less internal scarring compared to standard open surgery.
Dr Mathew Sebastian MS (General Surgery), MCh (Thoracic Surgery) FRCS, Dip. in Laparoscopic Surgery FIACS
Consultant General & Laparoscopic Surgeon
Dr Mary Varghese, MBBS, MS
Consultant General & Laparoscopic Surgeon
Studied MBBS at Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore and completed her M.S General Surgery at Government College, Kottayam in 2013. She completed her senior residency of 1 year at Government College Kottayam. She joined Rajagiri Hospital, Aluva from Nov 2014 to August 2015
Procedures and Treatments
- Bariatric (Obesity) Surgeries - for weight reduction for morbid obesities surgeries like; Gastric Banding, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Bypass.
- Diabetic & Metabolic surgeries - for diabesity and lean type 2 diabetes as Sleeve Gastrectomy & Ileal interposition.
- Cancer surgeries for colon, stomach ca.
- Diagnostic Laparoscopy - for undiagnosed troublesome abdominal diseases.
- Hernia Repair, TAPP, TEP, hiatus hernia, dual mesh repair for ventral hernias and repair of other kinds of hernia.
- Cholecystectomy - removal of diseased gall bladder
- CBD Exploration - for common bile duct stones
- Fundoplication - for gastro-esophageal reflux disease
- Appendicectomy - removal of diseased appendix
- Duodenal ulcer perforation closure
- Selective Vagotomy - for peptic ulcer disease
- Gastrostomy - for palliative management of late stage upper G.I. carcinoma
- Colostomy - for malignant and benign diseases of colon
- Jejunostomy - for feeding
- Gastro-jejunostomy - for Gastric Outlet Obstruction
- Pyloroplastic Procedure - for treatment of Gastric Outlet Obstruction.
- Heller's Cardiomyotomy - for achalasia cardia.
- Adrenalectomy - removal of adrenal gland for malignant and benign diseases.
- Splenectomy - for removal of diseased spleen.
- Liver Biopsy - for benign and malignant liver disease
- Subtotal Liver Resection - for benign liver diseases only
- Adhesiolysis - for small bowel adhesions
- Rectal Prolapse repair
- Thoracoscopy - for pneumothorax, empyema, lung resection for metastasis.
- Endocrine surgeries- Endoscopic Thyroidectomy,adrenalectomy, resection of pancreas.
General Surgical Procedures
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
- Hemorrhoid (piles) surgery - Stapler Hemorrhoidectomy, LASER, Cryo, Harmonic hemorrhoidectomy.
- Varicose vein surgeries
- Breast surgery
- Head and neck & Parotid surgeries
Equipments and Facilities
World Class Operation Theaters with HEPA Filter and Laminar Flow.
Imported High-end Sterilizers (Tutoner)
MGB Germany Laparoscopic System with
- 3–chip Digital Camera
- Medical Monitors
Vessel Sealing Devices like
- Hernonic Scapel (Johnson & Johnson, USA)
- Ligasure (Valley Lab)
Advanced Patient monitors with ET CO2.
Most advanced Ventilators
- Horus Extend
- Transport Ventilators
Separate Orthopedic, Neurosurgery, Gynecology, Trauma Intensive Care areas.
Centralized Medical Gas facility
High-end Microscope (Carl Zeiss)
MIS makes surgical procedures more accurate and less painful…
Adopt a Minimally Invasive procedure for your varied surgical needs…
Talk to your doctor today…